My #1 Fear for a Sustainable Lifestyle – “Don’t Be An Urban Homesteader A**hole”

One of the major themes tied into many of my blog posts is the issue of convenience that pervades throughout all aspects of our society. Always, the solution to our ‘first world problems’, such as not being able to comfortably hold a remote while wrapped in a blanket on our couch (thank the lord for Snuggies), is a solution that makes everything so darn convenient you barely have to lift a finger (diet pills anyone?). So naturally, our potential solutions to this issue of over-consumption has to be convenient and quick for us or how else would we be able¬† to do it? With hard work and time?? PSHHHH! What does that even mean?!

However, while living a sustainable lifestyle should be at least one item on everyone’s agenda, one of my biggest fears is that the term ‘sustainable’ will begin to be associated with hard-core hippies that reuse their dental floss as sewing string and grow an entire agricultural industry in a window planter. And that the people who practice any sort of sustainable lifestyle will be associated with, for lack of a better phrase “go hard or go home”.

I came across this article and while I of course was drawn in by the eye-catching title (sorry for the French..), this article seemed to hit a major part of sustainable living that I believe should be read by all who are even considering the posibilities of urban homesteading or urban gardening.

http://www.nwedible.com/2011/02/dont-be-urban-homesteader-asshole.html

The author of the article emphasizes the importance of welcoming any sort of sustainable practice, whether you’re starting out with a basil pot on the front porch, or you’re making your own cheese with the goat tied up to your fence post. Any step is just that, a step. It will take multiple steps for the outcome of a more sustainable Earth, but as practicers of sustainable living, we can’t force more on someone than they are willing to accept at one moment.

“We run the risk of portraying Urban Homesteading as an all-or-nothing committment, when in reality it is exactly¬†and only what one makes of it. If we’d like to see a nation of farmers, it will happen by normal people making tiny changes in their normal life, not by everyone simultaneously quitting their jobs and growing heirloom shelling beans.”

This is a short article, but one that directly addresses a key issue that could come back to bite sustainability in the but if we’re not too careful. Not exactly a “msut read” but definitely a “probably-should-read-but-I’m-not-your-mother-telling-you-what-to-do read”. Enjoy!