Challenge 10 – Five Item Food Following Challenge

In the following list of food ingredients italicized are ingredients that are corn-based.

Sapporo Ichiban Original Ramen

Noodle Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour, palm oil, potato starch, soy sauce, salt, guar gum, sodium carbonate, tocopherols, potassium carbonate

Base Ingredients: Salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, maltodextrin, soy sauce powder, onion powder, leek chips, caramel color, spices, chicken broth powder, beef stock powder, disodium succinate, malic acid, garlic powder, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, corn oil, sodium citrate, sesame oil

Gardetto’s Original Recipe Snack Mix

Ingredients: Enriched flour, wheat flour, soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, rye flour, salt and 2% or less of sugar, yeast, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup, vegetable oil, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, maltodextrin, onion powder, garlic powder, baking soda, fumaric acide, caraway, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sodium diacetate, BHT

Special K Oats & Honey Cereal

Ingredients: Whole grain wheat, rice, sugar, whole grain oats, wheat bran, milled corn, and 2% or less of honey, soluble wheat fiber, salt, malt flavoring, natural and artificial flavor, BHT

Jones Green Apple Soda

Ingredients: Carbonated water, inverted cane sugar, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium benzonate, potassium sorbate, calcium disodium, EDTA, yellow 5, blue 1

Carlita Flour Tortillas

Ingredients: Enriched bleached wheat flour, water, vegetable shortening, 2% or less of mono and diglycerides, dextrose, leavening, fumaric acid, yeast, preservatives, corn starch, carboxymethyl cellulose, wheat starch, xanthan gum, enzymes, dough conditioner

I thought this challenge was really interesting. While I expected and did find some not-so-healthy ingredients in the ramen, the tortillas and the snack mix, I was surprised to NOT find as much in the Jones soda. There were a few processed ingredients, but I was surprised the list wasn’t as long as the others. The cereal, of course, I expected to be healthy since the brand sells itself as a healthy cereal. However, I was very surprised to find that among the list of things there was “2% or less” of was honey. When I bought my oats and honey cereal, I expected there to be both oats and honey, and yet less than 2% of my purchase has honey in it. Although healthy, I felt it to be kind of deceptive of the company to sell something labeled that it has something and then hardly even use it as an ingredient.

If I had to live a week without corn I think I could do it. The whole process of reading these ingredients and typing them took about 3 minutes– it would be even faster to simply read them in a grocery store. It’s pretty simple to avoid what is pre-processed because you can normally tell what has been processed and packaged and what is fresh. Although I would probably miss a few foods and have to use a bit more of my paycheck, I don’t think the prospect of living a life without corn is a complete impossibility.

One thought on “Challenge 10 – Five Item Food Following Challenge

1. Pingback: Environmental Sociology - Challenge 10 – ...